Plant pathology (also phytopathology) is the scientific study of plant diseases caused by pathogens (infectious organisms) and environmental conditions (physiological factors). Organisms that cause infectious disease include fungi, oomycetes, bacteria, viruses, viroids, virus-like organisms, phytoplasmas, protozoa, nematodes and parasitic plants. Not included are ectoparasites like insects, mites, vertebrate, or other pests that affect plant health by consumption of plant tissues. Plant pathology also involves the study of pathogen identification, disease etiology, disease cycles, economic impact, plant disease epidemiology, plant disease resistance, how plant diseases affect humans and animals, pathosystem genetics, and management of plant diseases.
Balochistan Agriculture College (BAC), Quetta was established in the premises of Agriculture Training Institute (ATI), Quetta in October, 1987 Section of Plant Pathology however, came into existence at the same time as a department under the division of plant protection five research sections in the discipline of Plant Pathology viz; Plant Mycology,Plant Nematology, Plant Bacteriology, Plant Virology, Epidemiology and integrated disease management are working under the head of the department, which address research issues regarding all disciplines.
Plant Pathology is concerned with study of Plant diseases, spread and control. The welfare of plants is of particular interest to plant pathology department. The department attempts to increase knowledge of students the causes and the development of plant diseases. It is also science with a more practical goal; to develop controls for all plant diseases in order to save the produce that is destroyed by plant diseases and to make it available to the hungry and millions of ill people of our increasing over populated country.
- The objective of the Department of Plant Pathology is to impart education to the students keeping in view the recent advancement in the diagnosis and management of plant diseases.
- While following the HEC Curriculum to impart higher education at undergraduate and post graduate levels in the field of Plant Pathology.
- Our staff is enthusiastic to encourage a strong, innovative and intellectual environment where the ideas are energetically debated and rigorously tested for target oriented research.
- To develop a human resource in different field of plant pathology i.e., plant virology, plant bacteriology, plant mycology and plant nematology.
- To emphasis an IPM to discourage the non-judicial use of pesticide in agriculture.
- To provide plant disease diagnostic facilities to the formers, research organization and researchers of the adjoining areas of the college.
- Research is a major focal areas of the department, faculty and students.